Winter is around the corner. This year, winter seems a little more daunting. We don’t need to re-hash all the differences 2020 provided so we’ll skip to how to best take care of YOU this fall and winter.
Mental wellness is at the top of the list. Having a positive outlook doesn’t just happen. It is a choice we make, not an automatic disposition. So how do you get started? Here are 5 ways to winterize yourself so that you finish the year strong, healthy, and happy.
- Get some sleep. Create a nighttime routine and stick to it. Dim the lights after 7 pm, eliminate blue light after 8 pm, drink a cup of tea, and crawl into bed at a reasonable hour. Aim for at least 7 hours each night.
- Eat your veggies. Fruits and vegetables contain micronutrients that can boost your immune system, increase your energy, and can give you a mental boost for making a healthy food choice.
- Move your body. When you exercise you boost serotonin levels in your brain. Multiple studies have demonstrated that exercise is at least equally effective at increasing available serotonin as serotonin-enhancing medications are, and in come cases exercise is MORE effective.
4. Practice mindfulness. Practice gratitude. Basically, be where you are. Soak it in. You will only have today one time. Love those around you. Be grateful for the many gifts you’ve been given.
5. Meditate. Pray. Be Still. Even if it is just for 3 minutes at the end of the day. Give your daily problems to a higher power, close the all the open tabs in your brain, and breathe.